Saturday, May 10, 2014

Pancakes and Patience

I cooked pancakes this morning. I’m no master chef, but I figured cooking is simply just a matter of following instructions. I went out and gathered all the ingredients I’ll need. After a few minutes I’m ready to cook the best-tasting pancake ever, or so I thought.

I cracked two eggs and stirred it in a bowl. The instruction says to use only one, but I figured it would add more flavor to it and I’d be the only one to eat anyway. The best part was no one’s gonna stop me ever if I don’t follow these instructions religiously. Freedom!


I added the half of the hotcake mix (which is really just a bag of flour) to my beated eggs, poured in some water, and started stirring again until it was lumpy. I must have been stirring for five minutes but I noticed the flour is still too scattered and was not getting mixed well with the eggs. Maybe there isn’t enough water, I thought, so I added some more. It didn’t do the trick, as it made my mix look like a bowl of soup instead. I glanced at the instructions and realized that I hadn’t added oil yet. I poured in a few drops, whereas the instructions clearly told me to use 2 tablespoons. But my mix was already too lucid so I just poured in all my remaining flour into the bowl. So much for eating only half. After some more stirring my bowl of mixed pancake ingredients looks like they were finally sticking together. Disaster averted? Not yet.

I poured in my mix into a heated pan but didn’t notice until it was too late that I’ve already poured in half of the bowl. I tried to spread it across the pan, but my mix was too sticky. The result was a bulky slab of egg-flour not resembling a pancake. I’d do better in the next batch, I told myself. My second batch was slightly burnt on both sides because I was busy wiping my sweat and adjusting and readjusting the flames. The third and last batch was actually pretty decent, but it was not firm enough to hold together since it was mostly leftover. Had there been a fourth batch it would have been perfect. Or not. Who am I kidding?
After all the trouble I’ve gone through, now comes the fun part – eating! The pancake box I had didn’t have free honey or syrup, so I had to settle for sugar. Now I don’t know about you, but the few times that I cooked I really enjoyed eating it and I end up full. Part of it is because I only cook when I’m very hungry and have no better choice, but it’s also because I am not particularly picky on what I eat. As long as it’s not horribly bad I’d eat it. Though my pancakes are not in the horribly bad category, it’s not the best-tasting pancake either. In some parts I can clearly taste the egg, but in some it’s simply a cooked piece of flour. Of course, it all goes back to how I mixed it.

My pancake

I realize I don’t have the patience to follow thorough instructions and I try to do so much of everything the way I want it. This is not me being a rebel, it’s just the way I learn best. Just like how I learn how difficult it is to not have you near. All the time I was cooking I thought I wouldn’t have been doing this if we were together. You wouldn’t have even allowed me near the kitchen to make such a mess. But while being together is our ideal state, there are lessons to be learned by being away to each other. I was not consciously aware of some of the things I’m truly dependent on you, but not having you around changes that. It makes me appreciate all of your efforts more and I’d be sure to show it once we’re together. When the time comes, I may not be able to cook you the best-tasting pancake, but I’ll surely be better in showing you how much I need you and how you truly mean to me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment